What Will Sell at an Auction?

The subject of auction items was one of the many areas that Hubby’s committee discussed alot at the beginning of planning the fundraiser for the school.

They finally decided to ask for new gifts worth at least $75, and then just see what was donated.

They got lots of, I suppose, “typical” items like beautiful hand-made quilts and rugs, trips, gift certificates to restaurants, landscaping services, tickets to sporting events, hair and nail salon services and products, floral arrangements, rounds of golf, jewelry, etc.

And, they got some very unique items too.  Like a Dallas Cowboy’s football helmet signed by Bill Parcells.  Original works of art by two local artists and one from Hubby’s cousin, Irene, who is an artist in Seattle.  Also, one member of our congregation is an interior designer and artist, who is capable of turning anythng she touches into a work of art.  She had hand-painted two sets of wine glasses that were absolutely stunning.  And one man had made a wonderful dollhouse, furnished with carefully handcrafted furniture.  It even had a music box built into its roof.

And then there were the items that show how “outside the box” creative people can be:

… One of the first grade teachers, auctioned off a “Day with Miss H.”  She is a wonderful caring person and a beloved teacher, so I’m sure some child was thrilled with this gift.

… A lawyer in the congregation donated estate planning.

… Our church organist is a wonderful musician who both composes and arranges music, as well as performing.  She donated organ or piano lessons, or performance at a wedding.

… One couple, who are gourmet cooks, offered a gourmet dinner for eight in their home and when that one sold for $1,200, they told the auctioneer they would sell another one — so he offered it to the second highest bidder for the same $1,200, and he accepted.  So, $2,400 was made in just a couple minutes.  What a generous couple — and what generous bidders!

… A wheelbarrel full of “Lutheran beverages” (that’s alcohol) brought lively bidding by about four different guys.  When it sold for a price wayyyyy more than what it was worth, the auctioneer yelled to his assistant, “Quick, go get more wheelbarrels to sell!”

… One family who have a pool at home, offered an afternoon pool party for six women, including massages by a professional masseuse.

… Both a Corvette and a Porsche were each auctioned off for a weekend.  One of my sisters-in-law bought the Corvette weekend for her hubby (my hubby’s brother) as a belated 60th birthday present.  They are going to take a weekend trip in it.  What a great gift!

… A local dentist donated teeth-whitening.  If you haven’t checked into how much that costs, you may be surprised to hear that that was valued at $600!

… Five hours of “whatever you need” work by the youth group from one of the churches.  Wouldn’t it be wonderful if someone bought this and gave it to an elderly relative or neighbor, to help do some things around their house and/or yard?

… A whole hog — since I didn’t see him there (I think I would have noticed), I assume this was processed and not “on the hoof.”

… Twenty tons of crushed stone, delivered, from a local trucking company.  I’m not good at picturing quantities, but I think that is a heck of alot of stone!

… Two cases of canned beef.  I haven’t had canned beef in years, but I remember it was GREAT for beef and noodles.

… And, finally, an item that, when I saw it on the live auction list, I thought what in the heck is that, and why would anyone BUY it — a deer hunting site!  Let me just say there are lots of deer hunters in this part of the country, and apparently this was a prime hunting spot, that the buyer would have exclusive rights to for the season.  There were three guys who had a spirited bidding war on this, and it brought big bucks.  Go figure.

What a fun evening.

13 Responses to What Will Sell at an Auction?

1. tz says:

how fun…so glad you shared, it’s amazing what some people find dear…and some things one may find strange but turns out there’s a comptetion to win…like the deer hunting site…

2. tz says:

oh wait..what did you bid on? if anything?

tz — in the live auction, I would have bid on a week in a house on Mackinac Island in Michigan but Hubby wasn’t in the room at the time, and I didn’t like to commit to that much money and then have him return to the table and have to say, “By the way I bought a trip while you were gone!” So, we ended up buying a week at a condo in Gatlinburg, TN. In the silent auction, we bought 5 yards of mulch installed and 4 hours of computer expert help. We just had the BEST time.

We had the final meeting of the committee here last night, and it looks like the profit is going to be about $83,000 — we are delighted!! The principal was here, and he got a little emotional when talking about how much that would help their budget for necessities — not luxuries. God really blessed this event.

4. Danielle says:

That sounds like so much fun…

People can be amazing, they have donated some beautiful items and ideas…

I love fund raising auctions….I went to one just last year and was lucky enough to win a case of white wine for $30 and a $50 petrol card for only $10.

I was pretty shuffed….

Did you win anything ?

Danielle — “Win” probably isn’t the right term. We were “allowed to buy” three things — a trip to the Smokey Mountains, 5 yards of mulch for our flower beds and four hours of computer help. All things we will use, and still got to contribute to a great cause! Already looking forward to next year!

6. I love the idea of the pool party for women with massages. That would be a blast.

We were part of a fund-raising auction a couple of years ago for a family member who suffered a freak accident and had enormous medical bills. It was extremely touching how generous people can be in the time of need.

Congrats on the success.

SBW — I liked the women’s afternoon package too, but couldn’t bid on EVERYTHING I liked!

People really can be unbelievably generous if they see that it’s for a good cause. The committee was really humbled by the response.

8. Danielle says:

Hrmmm Auctions must be different over there.

Here in OZ bidding consists of people bidding until the highest amount is reached and no one else wants to bid higher.

If you are the higest bidder you “Win”…the price..

x

Danielle — Yes, that’s the way it is here too. I just had trouble using the word “win” because, in my mind, “win” doesn’t mean “buy” which is really what you do when you make the highest bid. Sorry I was confusing — that’s the first time EVER! :)

10. Holy Cow! Now that’s impressive! These ideas are fantastic! And all for a great cause. Wish I had been there.

HPKT — It WAS a great evening. I’ll let you know the date next year :)

12. Danielle says:

Yes…with prizes like those..I wanna know the next date as well LOL…x

13. slots jungle says:

Good job! This will help both readers and
    bloggers to interact with each other at the end of their informative
    blog posts. Readers can read their own feed back based on the blog posts they
    have read.