Fatherly Advice

This was the first time in her life that Gunny and Dilly’s oldest daughter, Samantha, lived far away (16 hours away), and wasn’t able to be with the family to enjoy her mom’s favorite meal to cook and her dad’s favorite meal to eat — Thanksgiving dinner.  So, on Thursday Samantha cooked Thanksgiving dinner for the first time, for her and her husband, Josh.  (Little James isn’t quite old enough to be a meat n’ potatoes guy yet.)

I hear that she and Dilly were on the phone off and on all day, and Samantha ended up kind of cooking her meal “in tandem” with Dilly cooking her meal.  Whatever Dilly did, Samantha did.  I think that was a great idea!

Dilly always takes this meal on with a passion.  Her Thanksgiving table “groans” with good food, all lovingly made by her, although I hear 15 year old Nikki was a big help this year.  But, anyway, Dilly has set the bar high for what Thanksgiving dinner should be like, and possibly given at least one member of her family somewhat unrealistic expectations for what constitutes a good Thanksgiving meal.

A conversation Gunny and Jay, their almost 14 year old son, had earlier this week:

Gunny:  “It sounds like Samantha is going to fix a great Thanksgiving dinner for her and Josh.”

Jay:  “Yeah, but did you hear, she’s going to use frozen pumpkin pie?!”

(I envision a moment of silence here, while that comment hangs in the air.)

Gunny:  “Hmm.  Let me just give you a little piece of advice, son.  Someday when you are a young married and if you are lucky enough that your wife is cooking Thanksgiving dinner for you for the first time, if she says she is going to use a frozen pumpkin pie?  You should just say, ‘Thank you.'”

12 Responses to Fatherly Advice

1. tz says:

hahahahaha, good advice! from a couple posts ago, we finally finished our Christmas Cards, and instead of doing a letter we found a picture card that allowed some text on kodak.com and we went with a cheeky message from the boys…

tz — I’m soo impressed that you have finished your Christmas cards! Way to go!

A wise, experienced piece of advice! :)

Hilary — I don’t remember anything specific, but I’m guessing Gunny IS remembering his own experience with some equally young and clueless comment he might have either made to me when he was growing up, or has made to Dilly as an adult! Experience — what a great teacher! :)

5. Amy O says:

Gunny is a wise man. Sounds like Dilly and Samantha had a wonderful time cooking together. How did Samanatha’s dinner come out?

Amy — I haven’t heard from her directly. But, I hear from her mom thatit went great. When Samantha e-mailed me to asked for some recipes last week, I told her she ought to have Josh take some pictures of her cooking her first Thanksgiving meal! I hope she did. I think those would be great keepsakes for them.

7. Mrs4444 says:

Excellent advice! (Hooray! Your post showed up in my reader!!)

Mrs4444 — I thought Gunny did a good job with that advice too. But, I did think of an even better response later. He could have told Jay to say, “Perfect! I’ve never liked homemade pumpkin pies as well as I like the frozen!” :)

9. Erin says:

That is some very good advice. :)

I thought so too, Erin!

11. Beth says:

That is SO funny, and quite sage advice! I’m proud of The Engineer that there was not a peep of protest when he saw my store-bought rolls and canned cranberries (though I may try the frozen you suggested, next year!) And he certainly didn’t care that I bought a pumpkin pie from Wal-Mart, considering he doesn’t eat the stuff anyway. But if I’d bought an apple pie…I might have heard about that. :)

Beth — I used to have the mindset that “home made” was always better, but there truly are things that we prefer that are store-bought. Like that cranberry/orange relish — great taste, and just thaw. I think Mrs. Smith’s pumpkin pie is wonderful (don’t tell my grandson). And, at our daughter’s horror, we really prefer the potato pearls we buy at a restaurant supply store to real mashed potatoes — and we like to be able to make just one serving if we want.