Ice Can Be Beautiful . . .

. . . but it can be destructive too.

We had an ice storm night before last, making  yesterday  a combination of a winter wonderland, extensive tree damage and power outages.

The power outage started about 6 a.m. involving a large part of the city, including us.

100_4404  Every home around the lake was dark, except for the Christmas tree in that one.  Do you suppose it is battery powered?  Or are they using a generator to keep their tree on?  For whatever reason, it stood out in the darkness.  (Unfortunately, I had to magnify it so much to show the tree, that it’s blurry.)

100_4336d1  Remember this picture from a few night’s ago of the display in the neighbor’s yard?

100_4419f    Well, now a tree near the display is laying over on it, because of the heavy ice.

100_4424f

100_4475  Fortunately, this little tree of ours is only a couple years old.  Not big enough to have big branches to be weighed down by the ice.  Young enough to still stand up straight and look pretty with it’s icy dressing! (But, I notice the lovely evergreen across the street is leaning a little with the weight of the ice on its boughs!)

100_4462f1 I like the “abstract-ness” of these photos of a bush taken through the ice on the sun room door.

100_4438w

100_4488t  The ice on the arbor was beautiful in it’s uniformity.

100_4490

100_4492d

100_4485f  I think it’s interesting that the “ripples” in the ice on the lake give the illusion of open water.

100_4493f

100_4486d  I wonder if it was seeing bushes like this that first gave people the idea of hanging silver icicles on Christmas trees.  That would be my guess.

100_4544tg  Those are water drips just above the little everygreen.  At a friend’s home, water was dripping from the gutter directly onto that little bush, methodically thickening it’s icy coat.

100_4494d

100_4494df1   100_4495g

100_4381

The ice from the storm may be new, but the lake has been frozen solid for a few days now.  So, the ice fisherman are doing what they love to do.

100_4382x  You would never get me out there in that cold to fish, but when one of them says, “Come down for a fish fry!”, I’m perfectly happy to enjoy the fruits of their labors.

Happy Saturday.  And, remember, if you get lemons make lemonade, but if you get ice, fish!  Right guys?

11 Responses to Ice Can Be Beautiful . . .

1. Beth says:

I really like the icicles on the arbor!

Wow…Go into freezing weather, drill a hole, sit on a tin can, and wait. No, thank you, I prefer warmer hobbies. But, just like accounting and auto repair, I’m sure glad someone wants to do it!

Beth — I really do like the beauty of the ice, especially the arbor, but it really did do some damage.

Re. the fishing/accounting/auto repair — Amen!

3. cathy says:

Wow, those pics! That’s the only part of winter I miss – the beauty.

Despite the destruction that often accompanies an ice storm, it sure does look beautiful. And you’ve captured the best of that.

Cathy — I think this is the reason I would have trouble moving to a warmer climate. I really DO like all four seasons. Although, I guess that might change, when I get “old!” :)

6. Mrs4444 says:

Awesome pics! Loved each one; very beautiful, if dangerous. We have a generator. I love it and hate it. Love it, because without it, the house is silent. Hate it, because it is loud and obnoxious.

7. Tab Calhoun says:

Beautiful pictures. There is something about the “elements” that are beautiful to see, including the pictures of the ice.

We got a snowstorm here yesterday and I was out in it looking for photos. It’s a fun way to experience the weather…though I’m glad to say we didn’t have power outages. Seems like you survived yours without getting too cold.

Mrs4444, We talked about getting a generator after this happened because, against all reason, we have had more power outages here than we did when we lived at the farm!

Tab, I’m glad you enjoyed the pictures. I don’t have to tell you how much fun it was to take them. What a wonderful “sport” this picture-taking thing has become! And, of course, you are one of the photographers who inspired me. Thank you. I’m loving it.

No, we weren’t without power long enough to get cold, but there are some residents who lost their power when we did, Friday morning, and weren’t supposed to get it back until Sunday! We had talked about what we would do with the food in the frig if it stayed off too long, and had decided we would take some of the food out in the back yard and “plant it” in the snow! I bet THAT would have looked interesting to the neighbors — like we were raising a crop of bacon, eggs and orange juice! :)

9. Wow. Those pictures are just breathtaking, I’ve never seen anything like it. I once saw a single branch which was ice-coated like those trees, because it was hanging over a river and kept dipping in and out of the water. (I stopped to take a picture but it’s on my mobile and I can’t work out how to get it on to the computer!) To see a whole landscape like that must be stunning; I hope the beauty outweighs the damage.

Rachel — It really is beautiful. But, I believe there are still parts of the city which are without power. I’m sure the beauty is lost on them by now!