Some things I’ve learned about myself through Photography

I think of my mother often when I am using a camera.  She would be delighted that I finally “get” the fun of photography.

And, I have learned a few things about myself because of photography, for instance –

I am drawn to repeated patterns . . .

P1010866

100_2779e1

100_1126edit1

P1020617

P1000734(1)

P1010828

P1020581(2)

and bright colors . . .

P1000744(1)

100_2294e1

P1030418

100_1422e2

P1000750(1)

P1030548(1)(1)   (I can’t tell — is it obvious what this is?  If you don’t know, I’ll give you a hint – the color was a pleasant surprise when I played around with editing the hue and saturation of a black and white picture from the zoo.)

and the sky . . .

P1020137

P1020146(1)

P1020420

P1020050

. . . and sometimes opportunities to show a unique perspective

P1000151(2)    A window at a filling station.  A cooler filled with soda pop inside provides the color and is made interesting because it is viewed through a window that is reflecting near-by trees.

P1000151(1)  A cropped version of the window above.

100_2245e1   I thought these bushes in the yard, photographed through a screen, looked a little like a painting.

P1010157(1)  I was amazed at how much more I liked this simple picture of a bird when I made it a negative.

100_4823g   There is something a little mysterious about just a glimpse of a pretty girl, isn’t there?

100_1838edit1   Bridge girders through the tinting at the top of the windshield.

100_1965edit2  A sunset taken in the rear view mirror (as the passenger, of course!)

100_2731e2   I took a picture of clouds from inside the car and inadvertently overlayed them with my husband’s reflection in the window.  When I cropped it to just the reflection, I got a picture I really liked!

I can honestly say that photography has made me look at the world around me much more closely and appreciatively.

26 Responses to Some things I’ve learned about myself through Photography

There are some really neat ones in here, that I hadn’t seen before. I like the chandelier lights at the top.

2. C says:

I love these. Just this morning I “shopped” cameras on line, hoping to upgrade to a slr. What kind of camera do you use? C

Thanks, Beth.

C — Since Hubby gave it to me at Christmas, I was using a Panasonic Lumix because it had a 10x zoom and it was small enough to easily carry in my purse. But, I dropped it, so now I’m back to using my Kodak Easy Share. I’m not inclined to put ALOT of money in a camera, because I am not good at reading the book and learning everything I can do with a camera, so I’m afraid an expensive one would really be under-utilized.

4. Bridgelina says:

Lovely photography. I especially like what you’ve showcased for the sky, so beautiful!

5. Karen says:

Nice….

Thank you, Bridgelina.

Thank you, Karen.

8. Nikki Hahn says:

Beautiful blog and beautiful photographs! I read somewhere a photographer is taking photographs of light. I never thought of it this way. Neither have I thought of it as you have. I am a writer, but take inspiration from photography. I often look at a picture and sometimes I create a story from it.

Nikki — Sometimes it’s the chicken or the egg story. Sometimes the picture inspires the story and sometimes I looked for a photo that “fits” the story. Thanks for stopping by!

10. Julie says:

Sandra, I came across your blog on wordpress’ homepage. Really nice photography. My favorites are the lampshade and the rear view mirror sunset. Cool composition!

Julie — Thank you! The rear view mirror is my all-time favorite. That was one of those times that taught me “just keep shooting, and worry about what you got later!” :)

12. Margaret says:

Wonder photos, thanks for sharing! It’s always a pleasure to stop by and visit your blog. Enjoy!

13. sravan953 says:

The negative bird and the rear-view shot are my favourites! Also the sky photos!

14. Irene Suwarno says:

The bird is my favorite, it’s just awesome! What camera and lens do you use or you recommend? Thank you!

15. Your work is just beautiful, you have a real talent behind the camera. I have just worked out how to capture movement by slowing down the shutter speed. Very interesting,you should give it a try if you ever have the time….water works really well…

16. selfevident1 says:

I am drawn to the mysterious pretty girl, but I love every photo here. Wonderful work.

17. WRobinson says:

well done! very nice pix. I’m just getting into photography a lot more and took photos of my son’s soccer team last weekend – nervewracking but the results are very satisfying…keep it up….there is a wonderful world out there! New Zealand, where I live, has wonderful scenery but not enough history !

Margaret — Thank you for stopping by and your kind words. :)

sravan953 — I’m delighted you enjoyed them! Thank you.

Irene — I just used a Kodak Easy Share. I’m a novice so really don’t know much about lens and shutter speeds and the like. I just point the camera at things I enjoy!

btw, I did a set of three of the negative birds. That was one of those off-handed experiments that resulted in an “end-product” I really liked!

I’m delighted you liked it too. :)

Miss Danielle — I DO find slow shutter pictures of water fascinating, but don’t have a macro lens that really does it justice. Hope all is well with you, friend.

selfevident1 — As a blogger, I’m sure you know that comments are the “paycheck”, so thanks so much for “throwing something in the hat”! :)

WRobinson — I’ve only been really interested in photography since I started blogging almost two years ago — what a wonderful past-time! And what wonderful people I’ve met who share that interest!

Sandra, this post really speaks to me, as I’ve only really started playing with photography since blogging too – and it’s given me so much perspective. I enjoy being outside far more than ever before. I see things that would have so easily passed unnoticed before. And I appreciate what others can do with their camera much more than before. And you, my friend, have a wonderful eye reflective of your beautiful heart and mind. I’m so glad that you share.

Hilary — Thank you so much for your so kind comments. I am humbled that you speak to me as a peer when it comes to photography — because I consider you a PHOTOGRAPHER! You are one of the pluses added to my life, through blogging.

21. Candy says:

Sandy,
    You’ve got some really nice pictures here! I do have to say your granddaughters give you some beautiful subjects to work with. Love the zoo shot of the facepaint with just the flowers on Mimi before the vine. What beautiful eyes she has.
    Candy

22. lantops says:

- изготовление сайтов от 30$, баннеров от 10$
    - рассылка рекламы на 30000 русскоязычных форумов – 20$
    - рассылка на 10000 русскоязычных досок – 7$
    - регистрация в 6000 русскоязычных каталогах – 7$
    - рассылка рекламы на 30000 англоязычных форумов – 20$
    -рассылка рекламы на тематические сайты (каталоги,доски и др.) – сбор базы
    + рассылка 60$. Следующие рассылки 10-20$.Собраные базы отдам Вам.
    -ручная рассылка рекламы на любые ресурсы интернета 0.2$ за каждую регистрацию (не меньше 200 регистраций)
    -экспресс рассылка 100$ – включает в себя 6 рассылок на форумы + 3 на доски + 3 в каталоги
    -комплексная раскрутка сайтов 1000$ разовая + 200$ в месяц за рассылки или по договорености.
    -Рассылки на E-mail (только по Вашим базам подписчиков) 20$ на 150000 адресов. Можно на меньшие объемы но не меньше 10$
    -сбор баз любых ресурсов.
    E-mail: rekl09@mail.ru

23. redhops says:

В платежной системе BL больше 15 претензий нет
    - сделать сайт от 30$, баннер от 10$
    - разослать рекламу на 30000 русскоязычных форумов – 20$
    - рассылка на 10000 русскоязычных досок – 7$
    - регистрация в 6000 русскоязычных каталогах – 7$
    - рассылка рекламы на 30000 англоязычных форумов – 20$
    -рассылка рекламы на тематические сайты (каталоги,доски и др.) – сбор базы
    + рассылка 60$. Следующие рассылки 10-20$.Собраные базы отдам Вам.
    -рассылка со скидками 100$ – включает в себя 6 рассылок на форумы + 3 на доски + 3 в каталоги
    -E-mai рассылкиl (только по Вашим базам подписчиков) 20$ на 150000 адресов. Можно на меньшие объемы но не меньше 10$
    -сбор баз любых ресурсов.
    E-mail: rekl253@mail.ru

24. vipsites says:

В расширенном поиске можно поискать товар по части номера (только для выбранного каталога) или по номерам аналогов. кратчайшие сроки заказов, грамотно подобранный ассортимент запчастей в наличии, обширная гамма тюнинговых изделий

25. AtosewsDist says:

Мы предлагаем: уникальный авторский курс этикета и бизнес-коммуникаций Ивана Арцишевского (52 ак.ч)- 17 января!Запись в декабре! Вы получаете: безупречный имидж, уверенность в себе и успешную карьеру!
    eformat-pahomova@yandex.ru