Happy Birthday, to my “perfect” Husband!

When I was about 12 years old I remember wondering who I would marry someday.  And saying a prayer that I would have a good marriage — and a prayer for that boy, wherever he was.  And then for many years I forgot all about that conversation I had with God.  But God didn’t.

When I was 19 years old I married, for all the normal teenage reasons.  Certainly not with any mature ideas of how to have a good marriage.

But God hadn’t forgotten my prayer and he gave me exactly the husband I needed.  (Too bad  I didn’t specify that I wanted a perfect husband for my perfect self, because I like the idea of making God laugh!)

So, we two imperfects have been married for almost 45 years now, and we’ve had all the normal ups and downs, but through it all, Hubby has been my rock.  I have always known that, no matter what, I could depend on him.  He is a man of integrity and faith, whom I have always been proud to say is my husband.

Today, Hubby turns 65 years old.  The years have gone so fast, but we have  many great experiences to show for them.  Most importantly our wonderful children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

If I could pick any husband for myself today, this is the man I would still pick.  God answered my prayer “perfectly”.

Happy 65th Birthday, to the love of my life.

20 Responses to Happy Birthday, to my “perfect” Husband!

1. Amy O says:

Happy Birthday to Sandra’s Hubby!! Enjoy your day and hopefully you are not snowed in. Beautiful wedding photo!

2. Viki says:

You look like a beautiful couple then and now. Happy birthday to your husband.

3. cathy says:

Happy Birthday to hubby and hope you have a great day with him today, Sandra!

4. ElleBee says:

I’m with Viki, beautiful couple, then and now! Happy Day to to Hubby!

Thank you, Amy! No, we aren’t snowed in, but the snow (and COLD TEMPS) DID keep up from traveling to Tulsa! Hope it stops snowing and warms up soon. :)

Viki — Thank you. I’m going to take him to my favorite restaurant for his birthday. How lucky is he?! :)

Thank you, Cathy. We just went to the gym and I just told ONE GUY it was Hubby’s birthday and the guy announced it to the whole place and they sang happy birthday! Hubby was a little embarrassed. I told the guy I’m not telling him ANYTHING ANY MORE! :)

Thanks so much, ElleBee!

Aww look at the two of you.. same beautiful smiles.. same love in your eyes. Happy birthday Mr. Perfect. :)

8. Julie says:

Such a great post Aunt Sandy! I love that you two can look back on your years together and think of many great experiences. I’m inspired by your love for one another and hope that Jon and I can someday look back on 45 years together with fond memories of great experiences!
    Happy Birthday Uncle ‘Hubby!’

Ha! Hilary. He’d LOVE it if I’d call him “Mr. Perfect” instead of “dork” — a favorite of mine! Seriously, he DID say this was a little bit embarrassing for him, because it did make him sound too good. I find it charming for a 65 y/o man to still be able to be embarrassed by a compliment. One of the many traits that endear him to me. :)

Julie — And I wish the same — that you and Jon will have a long, happy marriage too. It is one of the greatest blessings in life.

I’ll pass your best wishes on to “Uncle Hubby”. :)

Wonderful post. Happy birthday to your wonderful hubby!!

Thank you, Beth!

12. Tim King says:

Hi, Sandra, and a happy birthday to your “perfect” husband.

I love stories like this. “… didn’t specify that I wanted a perfect husband…” Ha! I love that line! Who invented the idea of a “perfect” mate? I’d like to find out, travel back in time, and stick a sock in his mouth.

I love stories like this, because it’s a big thing with me, the kind of love that makes a marriage like yours succeed after all those years. I learned it from my parents, themselves still married and doing stuff together after 42 years (even after us kids have all moved out). And I highlight this theme in many of my writings.

Thanks for the wonderful, inspiring post, Sandra.

-TimK

13. Belinda says:

Hi Sandra,
    Hubby will be sharing a birthday—Our third grandchild was born today. 6 pounds 2 ounces

Hi, Tim! Thanks for your kind comments. I did laugh a little when I read “still married and doing stuff together after 42 years (even after us kids have all moved out)”. You probably didn’t mean to make it sound this way, but it sounded a little like you thought all the fun stuff might have stopped after they were dong raising kids! Ha! For us, raising our two children was the hardest part of marriage, so life got a little more fun when we were done with that “raising” part and moved on to having an empty nest and just enjoying our children and grandchildren when they would come to visit! :)

Belinda — Congratulations! Now that is a baby that already has alot of responsibility to be “special” since he/she will share a birthday with Hubby and Elvis! :)

15. Tim King says:

Actually, I did mean that the “stuff” might have stopped, because I know some couples stay together for the kids, but then after the kids grow up, they realize that their marriage means nothing to them anymore. That’s sad. I love to hear stories of people who are married because their marriage means something to them, and not just because it’s convenient.

I know what you mean about raising kids being the hard part. Margaret and I are in that phase right now, with two daughters (one teenager, one pre-teen). And I definitely see the fun aspect of the empty nest.

-TimK

Tim — I do know what you mean too. It has been very sad when we have known couples who found out, after their children were out of the house, that their children were all they had in common!

17. Mrs4444 says:

I’m happy for you, Sandra. :)

Mrs4444 — I know you have a good marriage too. What a blessing!

19. [...] at Add Humor and Faith…mix well recently posted about marrying her Hubby, and how God gave her the kind of husband she needed (rather than a “perfect” [...]

20. Howdy, I do believe your blog could possibly be having internet browser
    compatibility problems. When I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in
    IE, it’s got some overlapping issues. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Apart from that, great site!