Winter is still winter … and still has its own beauty

As I sat in the sun room yesterday working on Mama’s album, I enjoyed occasionally stopping and just looking outside at all the snow, the frozen lake and, of course, the geese coming and going.

I was working on a page from January, 1948, and it struck me that while lots of things have changed since then, our fascination with the beauty of winter hasn’t.   Mama obviously enjoyed taking pictures of snowy weather, just like I do.

Traditional roles back then probably dictated that Jimmy, the only boy in the family, did the majority of the shoveling!

There may have been school buses in town, but not in our neighborhood.  You walked to school, no matter what the weather.

Little kids love to think they’re “helping”.

And, just like now, it was fun to see how much snow we got by how deep it was on the lawn furniture!

Enjoy winter.  Summer’s coming!

Content copyright protected.

13 Responses to Winter is still winter … and still has its own beauty

1. You got a magnificent album of oldies. I would post them and forget everything else. Wow.

I see you been at this since 2007. Your archive must be worth a fortune in memories.

I used to have an archive too but it went back to 2002 and then found my pictures appearing on blogs in far away places and I had changed my name. Of course I had not known until somebody told me. So the archives disappeared. LOL

I really like you blog today.

• Sandra says:

A small correction, Abe. I have MANY albums of oldies! My mother took many many pictures, and being her baby, I’m finding out as I renovate her albums alot of them are of ME! :) (Good thing I’m the one doing the re-do, one of my siblings might have just thrown out alot of those pictures of me! Just kidding.)

I don’t THINK it would bother me if my pictures showed up on someone else’s blog, but I’d have to experience it to know how it felt. What did you do — put your old posts on discs to save them?

Thanks for stopping by.

2. Donna says:

Love the pictures. What fun you must have looking at this. Thanks for sharing.

Donna — It really IS fun!

So nice to see that you’re having fun with these photos, Sandra. I love that sweeping shot. The light and shadows are just perfect.

I’m glad to hear you say that, Hilary. I had to adjust light and shadows on all of them to make them the most “viewable”. The one of Jimmy shoveling was a tough one. Because the bright snow sunlight was behind him and he was in the shadow of the porch, I just couldn’t make him very clear. But, overall, I was pretty happy with them, and loved getting to share them. Thanks for enjoying them with me. Mama would have loved that!

(btw, I’m almost done with this album. I’ll be posting “after shots” soon!)

6. Amy O says:

Very neat! What a great winter project.

7. Tim King says:

I can almost smell the snow in these photos. Brings back memories, even though my childhood happened quite some time after yours.

-TimK

Amy — I agree! :)

Tim — A beautiful winter snowfall is timeless, isn’t it. I especially love the picture of my sister covered in snow. What that makes me smell is wet wool! :)

I love the one with the broom–another thing that doesn’t change is VERY young children wanting to “help” with cleaning! :)

Beth — A pretty big broom for a pretty little kid — I look like I’m just holding on for dear life trying not to drop it! :)

11. Chrissy Witt says:

too cool! Very cool, I mean cold! There really is a beauty of winter that has continued through the ages! Your still going on those albums! Good for you! Keep it up, so I can keep enjoying! I hope your fam is enjoying your restoration also! I still pray for continued movement on these albums, for forward direction and also for the blessings you will find in the time and work you are putting forth, but also for the blessings your family will enjoy, on account of your labor! Keep it up and keep sharing! The snow is soooo white in black and white photos, I love it!

Thank you so much, Chrissy, for all the encouragement you have given me over the years, but especially since I’ve been working on this album! I finished it yesterday, so I’ll be posting about it Monday. As usual, I learned a few things along the way that surprised me. :)