Is that success I smell? Or is it dust!

The first album is done!

As I went, I found that the pictures were loosely grouped by when they were taken.  But if Mama had put them directly into albums as the pictures were developed, I would think they would have been very specifically grouped.  So, I’m guessing that Mama collected her photos in a box or drawer (as I have done!) for possibly years before she started putting them in albums.  So, I did try to rearrange them a little and group them as I went.  And I did some random labeling with a white pen when I thought it was appropriate.

There is one page I am a little worried about because I did a little editorializing with my white pen.

Rusty was my sister Jean Marie’s first husband and the father of her two oldest children.  And there was this group of photos of them with a group of friends when they were dating.   But there were several pictures of Jean Marie with another guy in the group too — so I speculated that she might have dated both Rusty and him!

(Of course, it’s pretty obvious that Rusty would have won out in any competition for Jean Marie’s affections anyway, if nothing else because of his cool new car!)

However, I have since talked to my sister Betty Rose and she said the other guy was just another member of the group (which included her and her boyfriend/future husband too).  So I may have to go back and put another picture of something over my speculation.

Anyway, it’s done.  And I did my best.  I hope future generations enjoy looking at these photos half as much as I enjoyed looking at them as I put them on their new pages!

Now, on to the next one!  Ahhh-choo!  (I sneeze alot while I’m doing this.  I don’t really notice any dust, but I suppose the old, crumbling pages do create some.)

Content copyright protected.

8 Responses to Is that success I smell? Or is it dust!

1. Suldog says:

That’s a great thing you’ve done. Someone will have thanks in their heart for your efforts, somewhere down the line.

I need to do something in a similar way for all of the old family photos I have. Most are just in shoeboxes and envelopes, many with nothing to tell anyone who and what they are.

Suldog — I hope you’re right. It would be nice to have someone appreciate my efforts!

This has really inspired me to do something with the boxes of pictures I have too. When I went to Archivers for more pages, I bought two albums and my plan is to start putting pictures in them for each of our children.

May we both manage to fan this little “flame” of interest in organizing our photos and actually DO it! :)

3. Kerry O says:

What a great project to have tackled and finished up! And not just for yourself and your sister – your kids and grandchildren will LOVE to look at those photos one day (or they will if they are anything like me and my siblings).

Well done!

Thank you so much, Kerry. I can only hope it will be so! :)

What a treasure it will be for your future generations to open these albums and read about their ancestors. I hope you will tuck a note into each album so that they will know when it was done and by whom. After all, the real treasure is you.

Wow, Sandra, it looks fantastic!! What a labor of love, and I’m sure the reminiscing is fun for you too.

Yes, Hilary, I do plan to put something in the front of the book, telling about me replacing the pages. I don’t know about being a “treasure” myself but I do think that that becomes part of the family history too! :)

Beth — You’re spot on — it WAS a labor of love. But actually I was surprised that more than being “fun” it made me a little melancholy. That surprised me.

8. Amy O says:

Great Project!!! I think this is great! Family history is lost in so many families and what you are doing is helping carry on the legacy of your family.