Don’t forget the dryer sheets!

One of the great people I met at the rehab center where I resided for 10 days was Dave, the Concierge.  He was a retired guy who was just there to help in any way he could, like help deliver meals, get a patient some ice for their ever-present water bottle — just anything to help and cheer the patients up.  And, believe me he did a good job.  Especially when in the afternoon he would bring around a cart with coffee, hot tea, hot cider and cocoa for anyone interested.

Obviously, someone in Dave’s job needed to be a people person, as he was.  So he and I would sometimes chat for a few minutes (I’m pretty sure that was part of his job too — a few minutes of just pleasant chatting is such a nice break for any patient).

I forget how the conversation came around to static cling, but it did and it inspired him to tell me a story about an incident his wife, Lynn, had experienced.  Afterwards, one of the nurses told me she had worked with Dave’s wife, and she was as charming and funny as he was — so I’m sure she didn’t mind her story being told.

So, this was the story.

Dave and Lynn were going out to dinner with friends.  They parked the car and began walking toward the restaurant.  The other couple were walking behind them.  All of a sudden, one of the other couple said, “Uh, Lynn.  Is there a problem?”

Dave and Lynn turned around to see what problem there could possibly be, and followed their friends’ eyes to something on the sidewalk.  Laying there was a pair of underpants!  Lynn had on a skirt that she had just washed that afternoon and apparently it had had a little static cling, so a pair of underpants had been stuck to the underside of her skirt.  But as she walked from the car to the restaurant something suddenly made the static cling loosen (maybe sudden exposure to cold air?)  and the pair of underwear fell to the ground.

Of course, Dave said they all laughed about the incident, and he and Lynn still enjoy telling the story.  But it is a good reminder to all of us, “If you don’t want something similar to happen to you, never forget the dryer sheets!”

8 Responses to Don’t forget the dryer sheets!

Ha! Oh, I hope this never happens to me…though it does make a great story!

Beth — Gunny has a saying that I find to be true, “The worse the experience the better story it makes later!” But, funny as this is, it DOES give new importance to dryer sheets, doesn’t it? :)

Who would have thought that the guy walking around with a bottle of ketchup in his pocket would have such a funny story to tell? On the other hand, a guy with a bottle of ketchup in his pocket must have lots of funny stories. This is a good one.

4. gigi says:

I’m buying dryer balls because the dryer sheets were leaving residue on my black pants (plus it’s better for the environment).

Better than in the restaurant I suppose. So how long until you convince Dave to start a blog? ;)

Linda — Ha! I had forgotten about him coming around with the ketchup bottle on the evening we were served hamburgers and potato wedges. That WAS funny. See Hilary’s comment. You both may be on to something — he might be a very funny blogger!

Gigi — I’ve never had the residue problem, but I’ve also not noticed the dryer ball you mention. I’ll have to look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Hilary — See my answer to Linda. I go back for a round of therapy tomorrow morning. I’ll have to see if I can catch Dave on his rounds and tell him if he’d start writing a blog, he may already have a ready-made audience of three! :)

7. Katharine says:

A concierge? Your rehab center has a CONCIERGE???

Sandy, if you post something about a pool guy, I’m making a reservation for the day that I have a joint replaced!

Yes, Katharine, they had a concierge, but it wasn’t because they were fancy smancy — it was because they were realllly all about patient care and comfort. I think of it comparing favorably to a stay in a favorite aunt’s guest room.

p.s. I didn’t see a pool guy (or a pool), but maybe he was just off that week. :)