The art of a heart-felt thanks

On Christmas Eve day, Hubby and I went to the mall (yes, us and thousands of other crazy people). At lunchtime we went to one of the restaurants to eat before going home. Just after we sat down, one of our nephews walked in with his four small children. They stopped at our table for a minute to say hello, and then were seated on the far side of the restaurant.

When we were ready to leave, Hubby in the spirit of the season, told our waitress that he would like to pay our nephew’s bill too. She arranged that and he told her to just have their waitress say Merry Christmas from his aunt and uncle when it came time for our nephew to pay.

It felt good to get to buy lunch for our nephew and his children.  Just last summer, after much prayerful consideration, he gave up his job in banking and he and his family moved back to the area so that he could attend the seminary and become a pastor. We believe he will make a wonderful pastor and we’re proud of him and his wife both for being willing to make the sacrifices it requires for him to go back to school, even for such a worthwhile reason.  Fortunately, his wife is an IT person who can work from anywhere in the world, so she was able to keep her job even with the move.

Anyway, we figured the next time we saw them he would mention that he appreciated lunch. But we got so much more in the mail:

Does it get any better than that? It touched our hearts that he had involved his children in making a thank you note for us.  It’s a little hard to read in this photo, but way up in the left hand corner it says “Dear Uncle Jim and Aunt Sandy”.  And in the middle it says, “Thank you for lunch.  It was very good.”  And at the bottom they’ve all signed it.

I think those must be pictures of some of the foods they ate. Obviously a toasted cheese sandwich and a hamburger, and I bet the yellow are french fries. I’ve had to think about the rosy red spots.  I doubt that they had strawberries, so I’m guessing those may represent glasses of some red drink.  I can’t even come up with a guess about what the brown stuff is, but whatever it is, I think it looks overcooked, don’t you?

What a fun, unexpected surprise for us in a time when thank you notes are few and far between, especially hand-made ones.

Thank you, Aaron, for helping your children make us such a special thank you note.

9 Responses to The art of a heart-felt thanks

1. Michael G. says:

Fantastic story. You’re right – it doesn’t get much better than that. Thanks for sharing.

Michael — Thank you for enjoying it with me! :)

3. carlahoag says:

Absolutely precious and infinitely better than a Hallmark card.

I think you’re right about Aaron. I think he’s going to make a good pastor. He seems to be doing well in the fatherhood department.

Amen, Carla!

I agree, Linda. They are great kids who appear to be being raised right, by both their parents.

Absolutely adorable. My guess is that the rosy red spots are blobs of ketchup for dipping the fries… and the brown stuff might be an order of onion rings. I know kiddraw. ;)

Hilary — How can a mind as creative as yours also be so analytical? Of course, you’re probably right — now that you say the red stuff is probably catsup, it seems so obvious that it is. Why didn’t I think of that? :) And if the pile of brown stuff is onion rings, I still say THEY’RE OVERCOOKED! :)

I had no idea you spoke kiddraw! Now that I know, I’ll probably be employing you occasionally as an interpreter. Okay? :)

8. wendy says:

What a lovely, heartfelt post. I love stories like this. And receiving hand-made childrens’ cards is really the best gift ever!
    Ha – I too thought the red spots were ketchup! Give up on the brown. Never thought of onion rings, but maybe, it could be a blob of chocolate (or chocolate ice cream?) Who knows?

Thanks for your sincere comments on my blog post “Hope”. Much appreciated.

Thank you for stopping by, Wendy. :)