The family that peels potatoes together …

… a few hours later eats together!

Lulu and I peeled potatoes together.  We had fun while we were doing it — a nice memory to share.

When we were at DD’s the day after Christmas, we made a meal that is a long-time family favorite, roast beef with vegetables.  I have never tasted a potato, carrot or onion in my life that tasted better than the ones that are cooked with a pot roast!

Mama’s Pot Roast

(amounts of all of these ingredients are subject to personal preference)

* 3 to 4 lbs. of boneless chuck roast  (I don’t think I’ve ever made less than 3 lbs. but I have put in so much roast that the whole bottom of the roaster was covered.)

* Worcestershire sauce

* garlic salt

* white potatoes, peeled, rinsed and then either halved or quartered, depending on size of potatoes

* bagged baby carrots that are already peeled

* large white onion or two, peeled and quartered

~~

Put 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet.

Wash the roast, dredge it in flour and then brown on both sides in the skillet.

Put the browned roast in a large granite roaster.  Fill the roaster with water just short of level with the top of the roast.  Sprinkle the top of the roast generously with Worcestershire sauce and then garlic salt.   (You want the W. sauce and garlic salt to stick to the top of the meat, so the water level can’t be high enough to wash it off.  Also, g. salt is after W. sauce because in the other order, the W. sauce would wash the g. salt off the roast).

Put the lid on the roaster and put in a pre-heated 375 degree oven.

Prepare the vegetables and add to the roaster (the more of them you can get in the water around the edges, the better) about a half hour later.  Generously salt and pepper the vegetables after they’re in the roaster.  Replace the lid and return to the oven.

Cook for approximately another 2 1/2 hours. (This varies depending on the amounts of all the ingredients.)

When you start salivating because of the wonderful smell filling your kitchen, and when you stick a meat fork into the roast and the veggies and they are all fall-apart done, it’s ready!  The pan juices make wonderful gravy, or you can just strain them and use them as-is as gravy.

Our traditional side dish for this is green beans.

Essen Gutt! (Good Eating!)

8 Responses to The family that peels potatoes together …

This does sound wonderful. You know me…the non-cook…the only way I’ve ever done pot roast is in the crock pot. But I might have to try this some day. Hope you had a fun, if belated, Christmas celebration with CoCo, LuLu, and MiMi.

Try it — you might like it, Linda! Although I’m not sure this juicy meal would work very well on paper plates! :)

We buy the quality waxed kind! :)

Ohhhh, well THAT would make a difference. :)

Sounds yummy.. and so sweet that Lulu shared in the work. And good to know that Linda would haul out the classy paper plates for this meal. ;)

6. Vicki says:

Thanks for posting this recipe! Young women do not know how to cook like this anymore!!! I would think this would be adaptable for the crock pot after first browning the roast. Have you ever tried it that way? I cook mine much the same way, but on top of the stove. I have also never used Worchestershire sauce, but I’m going to try it. No cream of mushroom soup or dry onion soup mix for me, I am going with pure, unprocessed food and flavors this year!

Looks like your Christmas was merry with those granddaughters! Hope you are still healing nicely and will have a blessed Happy New Year!

V

7. carlahoag says:

This reminded me of my mother’s pot roast. She cooked it with potatoes and carrots, too and it was wonderful.

Vicki — You’re right — this recipe isn’t “modern” in any way. I’ve never done it in a crock pot and don’t use one much, so don’t know how it would translate. I think when I was little, Mama cooked this on top of the stove too. But at some point it got moved to the oven. In fact, now that I think about it, I was probably the one who made the move. She probably did it on top because she needed to leave the oven ready to bake her absolutely wonderful yeast rolls which she made with any big meal. If you try it with the W. sauce and garlic salt, I hope you like it. It smells (and tastes) absolutely wonderful to me, but then it’s a memory from my childhood!

Yes, I am healing nicely. I still have a little discomfort once in a while, but only take my cane now if there might be ice or snow on walkways. Thanks for asking. :)

Carla — Then I’m sure you can remember the wonderful aroma too. :)