Breakin’ and Eatin’

Gunny, Nikki and Jay were here last week for their spring break.  Unfortunately, Dilly is the only one who doesn’t get a spring break, in fact that week is especially busy at the stores she manages, so it is even more important that she be there.

But, even though we missed Dilly, we were glad to get to spend some time with Gunny and the kids.  The guys did alot of shooting and Nikki and I did alot of shopping.  And we all, did alot of eating!

One of their first nights here, we had peanut butter pie.  They all really liked it, but especially Jay.  The way I know that is that he said, “Will you teach Nikki to make this?”  Ha ha.  I replied, “No, but I’ll teach both of you to make it.”

I decided we would make a pie for when Linda and Doug would be coming over.  One of my “student chefs” was enthusiastic and one was less interested in the “making” and more interested in the “eating”.  I think it’s pretty easy to tell which is which.

Nikki loves to cook, especially when it’s something that tastes so good!

Jay showed up, I think just to make sure Nikki was getting the job done.

But when his true commitment to the project was questioned by Nana, he made an effort to “help”.

Probably fortunately for the success of the project, Jay’s interest soon wandered and Nikki could get back to work without “help”.

Our plan was to save it for the next evening when Doug and Linda were going to come over to visit.  So when a complication arose and they couldn’t come until the next night, it meant the peanut butter pie had to remain untouched in the freezer for two days.  That took great restraint on the part of all of us.

But it was worth waiting for.  Nikki made an absolutely perfect peanut butter pie.

I told Jay that he had better start paying more attention to cooking, because there will probably come a time that he will live on his own and wish he knew how.  I said that I could picture him and Nikki both out of college and living in their own apartments and him calling her and saying, (in a pitiful voice, of course) “Can I come over to eat tonight?  I’m tired of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.”

We all laughed at that picture, but I was only half-kidding. I believe it’s wise for everyone to know the basics of cooking and, of course, how to make peanut butter pie.

9 Responses to Breakin’ and Eatin’

I was really surprised that they would share their peanut butter pie with us; but I’m so glad they did. I did see Jay checking out the size of our portions, though. :) I agree…Nikki did an excellent job with the peanut butter pie, as well as with the pineapple sheet cake. That was a fun evening. I’m glad we got to see them, but we did miss Dilly.

2. Amy Ostrowski says:

Sounds like a wonderful pie. I’m glad you had a great week with everyone!

Yes, Linda, Jay is all about portion control — that is, yours and mine, not his! :) We had a great time the night you came over. I’m glad you could make it.

Amy — Since all of our grandchildren live out of town, it’s special any time we get to see any of them. But we get to see these 12-hour-away kids even less than the 4-hour-away ones who live up by you. I should have had more kids and maybe some of the other ones would have given us in-town grandkids! :)

I don’t know how to make
    Those peanut butter pies
    I think it’s just as well I don’t
    Lest I have peanut butter thighs.

Your grands are great looking kids and they sure like to get involved… Nikki with the prep and Jay with the eating. A fun slice of life. Thanks for sharing that.

Hilary —

But you DO know how to make
    great photos and clever prose.
    Be glad THOSE talents aren’t fattening
    or there’d be no seeing your toes!

Sandra – It’s pretty hard to top Hilary, but I think you’ve done it! :)

Why, thank you, Linda. That’s high praise! :)

You two crack me up. I suspect that if I was a Hoosier (instead of a Hoser), we’d have some fun together. ;)

Come on down, Hilary! There’s a house for sale just down the street. Boy, we really would have fun, wouldn’t we. :)