“The End” for Thelma, Louise and Louise

Yes, I have other pictures I could share from our Washington DC trip, but I’ve tried to tell some stories here that might be different than what you have heard before.  And I certainly couldn’t tell them all … you’ll just have to make the visit (again?) yourself!

We saw many beautiful buildings that represent the foundation of our country.

And memorials to the sacrifices that our military men and women have made to keep our country free.

We stood in many lines and went through quite a few metal detectors (where I sometimes required “wanding” because my artificial knees made the detector go off).

We got to know a great group of 8th graders with whom we were touring.

We saw some really interesting “art in the park”.  If you know what this is a giant version of, you are showing that you are over a certain age!

And Marilyn and I even did something probably not quite legal, that reminded us of our Thelma and Louis theme … we went back to a museum for a second time.  This time without a ticket and just went up the back way to where a video was being played that we hadn’t had time to watch the day before.  I assume we may have been on a security camera somewhere, and we were prepared that someone might ask us to leave.  But it was a free museum that gives tickets just as a matter of crowd control, so if they saw us and what we were doing:  Just two women going up to spend an hour watching a video and then leaving.  I guess they weren’t worried about that.

Marilyn and I got to see Sandi in action as she pursues her new career as a tour guide.  (You did a great job, Sandi!)

The three of us “got” to share a very tight room. It reminded me of slumber parties when I was a teenager.  Except for the age-related issues that we would never have experienced as teenagers.  For instance, the other two were good sports about the discovery we made that when I take a sleeping pill (which I did two of the five nights, before I realized that was the cause) the very deep sleep apparently makes me snore like a drunk in an alcohol-induced coma!  (I’m sure we all added ear plugs to our list of travel musts. And I removed sleeping pills from my list!)

So that’s all I have to tell you about our trip.  It was great fun for me and the other two said the same.  And Marilyn reiterated that when she wrote in my birthday card last week, “Let’s take another trip!”

I’m ready!  Just give me a minute to throw away those sleeping pills.  Sigh.  Getting old is not for sissies.

7 Responses to “The End” for Thelma, Louise and Louise

What a wonderful trip! Thanks for “taking us along with you.” :)

Well, thank YOU, Beth for being willing to “ride along”! :)

3. retiredandlovingit says:

It really looks as if all of you had a good time…in spite of the snoring. :)

You rule-breaker, you! ;)

Sigh.. I know what the sculpture is. They did a really good job of it, too. It seems to have the personality of the Roadrunner.. I almost expect it to be zipping along on its wheel saying “meep, meep!”

It sounds like you all had a great time. And I’ve been known to use ear plugs AND take a sleeping pill from time to time in order to sleep through Frank’s snoring. Those are the nights that he’ll wake me up to let me know that I’m the one that’s snoring. So you’re not alone in that. :)

Welllll, Linda, of course the snoring didn’t bother ME!! It was a fun trip. I know you’ve taken road trips with other women before and said what a good time you had, but this was a first for me … what a hoot!

Hilary — Now you know … I’m quite the rebel. :)

I hadn’t thought of it before, but I DO see the similarities of the sculpture to that rascally Roadrunner. I always LOVED those cartoons.

Thanks for the snoring story. It’s nice to know that Hubby and I aren’t the only ones who act out that little middle-of-the-night comedy routine! Although one or both of us sometimes don’t think it’s funny!! :)

6. Julie says:

I’m so glad Debbie and I were able to see you while you were out here in the DC area, Aunt Sandy! Your posts are always so fun to read, especially the most recent ones about your trip out here. So glad you had a great road trip with the girls! If you ever come back to visit, please let me know so we can meet up again! :-)

Julie — It was so much fun to get to have dinner and catch up with you and Debbie! If I’m ever in the area again, I’d love to get together again. :) Love, Aunt Sandy