“Don’t you just love old people?” “Where do you see an old steeple?”

Take care of your hearing!!  My dad was hard of hearing and I remember it was just mildly annoying that you had to frequently repeat what you said to him because of it. But now that Hubby and I are both hard of hearing, I can really sympathize with how annoying it was for Dad to have to ask for things to be repeated.  It’s a pain in the neck.  And I wish there was a fix, but even hearing aids don’t do the trick most of the time.

But, having said all that, our lack of hearing does make for some funny conversations.  Here’s a post I did in 2007 about one of those.

Both Hubby and I have a hearing loss.  His from a virus that attacked his inner ear 4 years ago, and mine from heredity.  It makes for some funny conversations and sometimes some mistaken information!

One evening I was reading the newspaper and saw that an elderly cousin of Hubby’s mother had died.  Hubby was in the next room on the computer, so I said loudly to him, “Did you hear that Glen Brown died?”

Hubby answered, “ Lynn Crown died?

I said, “Yes, it’s in the paper tonight.

Hubby said, “We’ll have to go to the wake.”

No more was said.

The next day, Hubby came home from work and said, “A lot of people at work were surprised to hear that Lynn Crown (former mayor of a near-by town) had died.”

I said, “LYNN CROWN DIED?!”

He gave me the strangest look and said, “Yessss.  That’s what you told me yesterday!

I said, “No, I told you GLEN BROWN died!!”

To this day, we hope that Lynn Crown never hears that we were prematurely spreading the word of his demise!

6 Responses to “Don’t you just love old people?” “Where do you see an old steeple?”

Oh, Doug and I have a lot of these conversations, too. If memory loss wasn’t another thing that goes with aging, I’d tell you some of them. :)

Yes, Linda I remember some of your “mis-hearings” like this too. Getting old isn’t for sissies, and we aren’t sissies, right? : )

3. thesmittenimage says:

Ha.. I just read one of Pearl’s columns about hearing loss. It seems to be going around. Sigh!

• Sandra says:

Hilary — I could never have guessed when I was young what a pain in the neck it is when you begin to lose your hearing. As I’ve said before, getting old isn’t for sissies.

4. carlahoag says:

Oh, that’s so funny! We might as well get a little enjoyment out of aging.

P. S. Hope Lynn Crowne is feeling fine. That might’ve put a little strain on the old ticker. What was it Mark Twain said: The rumors of my death are highly exaggerated, or something like that. :-)

Carla — I hope “Lynn Crowne” was as philosophical about it as Mr. Twain, if he heard. : )